Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hi everyone,

As I am sure you have noticed, this is the first blog posting here. I started this blog on impulse, as I am not typically the type to make a blog. However, over the past year or so of brewing we have had many friends help Quinn and myself out and many more who want to keep apprised of all our brewing exploits. When I say brewing exploits, I mean they want to know when more booze is ready so they can come over and drink some.

With that being said, this blog was also started with the intent of keeping another record of all our brewing adventures. Quinn and I have a spooky little note book where we keep all our recipes and such in, but that only keeps a record of grain bills and such not the wackieness that ensues. The note book is covered in all types of crud, so that counts a little in the "Wackieness" categories, but not enough in my book.

So, for fear of this post getting too long and boring whatever poor fool happens upon this blog I'll end on some ACTUAL BREWING CONTENT! Heavens, what a thought? So, yesterday we had a bit of a bottling party. We bottled three fruit wine we had brewed a few months back, two of which I'll let my co-brewer fill you in on, as they were fully his recipes. The one I'm going to mention is a Sweet Plum Wine I hammered out.

I Love Asian plum wine more than I love myself, pretty sad I know but I am self deprecating like that. My wife, Quinn, Kitty (his lady) all love plum wine more then they love me also. With that being verifiable fact, I decided to make some. Diane, the wonderful plum bearing Secretary at my work happened to have a plum tree and gave me about 6 lbs of it. About 4 or 5 months later here we are, with a deep magenta wine. It sits about 10%ABV, is fairly full bodied for a plum wine, and has a near dessert wine sweetness. I didn't muddle with this as much as I typically do with all the other brews coming out of the house, so it comes off as straight forward plum. It is 100% drinkable now, but with its sweetness and slight tannin backbone it will age very well. I wish all our brews came off this well.


---Ricky Hansing, Co-Brewer

No comments:

Post a Comment